27 September 2007

Leave the Science to the Scientists

On Thursdays my only class is a biochemsitry lab. I actually hate science, not because it's boring, but because I suck at it. Seriously.
In high school, I never got the expected results in a chemistry or physics lab. Something always went wrong. My sister and I were lab partners my senior year in physics, and it was a nightmare. I think we both sucked, so we got frustrated with each other pretty easily.
Now here I am, a junior in college, taking biochemsitry not because it sounds interesting, but because it's a gen. ed. requirement. Because someone in the upper wings of university administration decided it would be a good idea to force all students to take a science course with a science lab. Actually, we have to take two: a life science and physical science. Now, I took my physical science (Geology Lab) online this summer. It was sweet: look at a few rocks, watch a few DVDs... I got an A.
But why on earth am I required to sit through a couple hours every week this semester in a lab which entering makes me feel like I've just stepped onto a space ship? I'm an English major -- where in my future does the university administration justify my need to be able to determine the levels of Vitamin C in certain fruits? I can solve problems...the FDA has a website. I can get that information to you in a matter of seconds.
So, this rant is not unprovoked. Last week I almost blew up two of my lab partners when they poured one chemical into another, when it should have been the other poured into the first. We were lucky there was no explosion. I don't really think it was my fault because they had the instructions, too. All I said was "mix them."
This week I improperly measured this very blue liquid and it neded up overflowing and spilling all over the floor and over my partner's and my hands. "Corrosive!" our TA told us to go wash our hands while he cleaned up the tiles. My bad. Fortunately I only got the tip of a finger blue, but my lab partner had smurf hands. Oops.
When waiting for our liquid to turn pink (it never did) we finally discovered we forgot a step, and thus had to start over. The next try, we waited too long after it turned pink to stop adding blue drops, and had to start over.
You know what I think? Only science majors should take science courses. BS to all that "being well-rounded" crap. And sure, I feel for the freshmen required to take Comp. I and II who aren't majoring in English or a related field, but even as a scientist, you have to know how to write a decent paper. No magazine editor will find herself testing the pH of the publication's ink. That's ridiculous.
Leave the science to the scientists.
--
So, the Office starts tonight and I don't know if I'll be able to watch it which makes me kind of disappointed. My mom is supposed to be recording it, so I can watch it this weekend. But waiting all day tomorrow before getting to go home and see it is going to drive me crazy I think. My 2:30 tomorrow is cancelled, but I bought a ticket to go see a pianist at McCain for one of my music class recital credits, so I have to stick around town until after it gets out (probably 9pm). Maybe between 1:20-7:30pm I can get most of my homework done!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain. In chemisty, ALL my labs went wrong. I think Jenny and I cracked one of the little ceramic things trying to turn our penny gold. Allison and I almost caused a fire or some disaster. I shouldn't be trusted in labs. It's just terrible.


View My Stats