07 November 2007

Rest for the Weary

Walking back to my room from breakfast this morning, this word hit me: weary.
It wasn't because I didn't get enough sleep (7.5 hours, in fact) or because my iron is too low (it's possible, but I think I've been eating the right iron-rich things). My eyes weren't even droopy like they sometimes are around 2:45 during my biochem lecture when I want to sink under the desk and take a nap. "Weary" felt like the right word that described how I felt: worn out, tiresome, physically or mentally fatigued.

Nevertheless, I dragged myself through my Wednesday routine: breakfast, homework, power nap, 9:30 class, 10:30 class, 11:30 lunch, 12:30 class, 1:30 homework, 2:30 class, 3:30 study, 5:30 exam, 6:30 dinner. Okay, so that's not always typical; sometimes I take a nap before my 2:30, but I had to get some Spanish listening activities done that I didn't do yesterday, and my 5:30 exam is usually a 3-hour class, but today we were allowed to leave after finishing the test (I think I did well!) and I don't usually have dinner on Wednesdays, but I did tonight.

So even though it's so tempting to crawl into bed right now and sleep (it's dark outside! so early!) I must do homework because this weekend I'm going to Missouri and know I will not get any done then. Anyway, this is me feeling weary and no longer just emotionally fatigued but physically now as well, and I'm unlocking my door when I get back from my exam and it's like this thought bursts into my head, just pieces of it: "all you who are weary....rest..." and I'm digging my brain trying to remember the reference. So, I look it up:

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest."
Matthew 11:28

(Cue "ahh"/I just made a realization music) Wherein lies my hope? Why am I trying to lasso the world and slow it down so I can catch my breath all on my own? I mean, I've got this pretty sweet relationship with this guy named God (ever heard of Him?) and he's pretty incredible because he knows everything about me and promises to meet all of my needs and work everything out for my good if I love Him, and He's totally in control of everything on Earth. In fact, He made the Earth. (He also made the stars too, which is pretty insane if you think about it.) So here I am wondering how I'm going to motivate myself to survive the rest of the semester and God whispers, "Hey, Alyssa. I know you feel weary. Remember what I promised? Come to me, and I'll give you rest."

And of course, it seems so simple, like one of those moments where you realize what you knew all along and you can't help but say "duh!" to yourself and feel slightly embarrassed. So cool.

0 comments:


View My Stats