05 January 2008

Ball, Cows, Books, & Chai

I went to Bolivar today with Mom & Mark. SBU played Emporia State. SBU won! By three points, and they led most of the game, sometimes by 11 or 12 points. Erica didn't get to play much (understandable; she just started practicing again) and the girl she was guarding scored. The guy sitting in front of me started talking about how the coach should pull her out (he obviously didn't know her family was sitting behind him. Luckily, I don't think my mom heard him. She probably wouldn't hold back like I did, but I wanted to smack him upside the head and tell him she just started up like a week ago). We saw Jamie afterward which was cool because I haven't seen her in forever and she gave us some cookies she got in Hawaii. Mine were triple chocolate macadamian nut shortbread cookies. Delicioso.

On our way home, we saw a truck ahead of us on West 54 with its flashers on. We slowed down. The car stopped in the oncoming lane provided light to silhouette numerous masses crossing the road. Cattle. Tons of them, wandering around on the highway in the dark. And it wasn't like a cattle crossing, either. This was an entire herd of cows (I'd guess 10-15) running across the road and then parallel to it on the south shoulder. The truck pulled to the north shoulder and drove slowly and we crept past him. My mom called 911 to report it, and the dispatcher said she'd send a deputy out. It was kind of crazy.

During my six hours in the car to and from Bolivar today, I got a massive amount of reading done. I'm reading Jodi Picoult's Nineteen Minutes. It's really good. She's an incredible writer. My favorites of hers include My Sister's Keeper and The Pact, but this one would probably rank third. I'm not to the end yet; it might bump up even higher in the rankings.

I'm excited! My mom wanted to stop at Wal-Mart to get a snow shovel (nearly 60 degrees today...all the snow melted; she hoped buying it would prevent it from snowing more) and I stopped over in the grocery section and found a couple of boxes of Chai tea. I bought two because I wasn't sure which to get. Both said spice chai. One says black tea but it did say to add milk like I remembered we did with the kind I had at ATM's house, and the other had the directions on the inside so I couldn't tell if I added milk, but it looked good. So now I have 40 packets of india spice chai and I'm going to go downstairs right now and make me some before bed. Comfort in a cup.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I heard the guy make the comment too. I looked at your mom and I think she heard him say something, but didn't hear exactly what he said. A little bit later the guy's sister made a mistake and I made sure to say something about it to Mark loud enough for him to hear.


View My Stats