29 January 2008

Lessons on Work Ethic

I had a dream last night that I was like eight and fighting with my sister, and then trying to beat her on a run home so I could tell Mom about. I woke up tired, feeling like I had just spent six hours yelling and fighting and running.

It's not even 11am, but I've been up since 6:1o. I worked breakfast, which wasn't too bad because I was at Dasher's so I spent the morning panning cheese and slicing sub bread and giving people like bowls of Lucky Charms or Rice Krispies and bagels. But then I was replaced so I could help clean C/D dining room. I don't mind cleaning, but a lot of people quit at the semester so when it's time to clean at breakfast on Tuesday and Thursday mornings, I'm the only one cleaning tables. And this year, it takes twice as long because instead of wiping it with a hot soapy rag and a cool sanitized one at the same time, you have to wipe it with soap first, and then go back and spray on sanitizer and wipe it off. I think I did at least 41 tables and it took me about 30 minutes. Doing tables also means picking up the newspapers that people have left and the jelly and syrup and putting them back where they go and taking abandoned plates/trays to the belt. Then I helped sweep and then I spot mopped everything and took utensils down, helped with transport, got more apron, more bowls, and finally left just at 10:30. I know I'm scheduled to work until 10:30, but in the past when we have more people we're almost always done by 10, and then I have time to get back to the 9th floor and take a quick shower before the cleaning lady closes the bathroom at 10:30-11:15 to clean. So, I have to go to my 11:30 class smelling a bit like the Derb.

Sigh. I was so tempted to complain to any of my coworkers while I was there, but I held my tongue. Maybe spilling this all out here is just as bad because two verses kept running through my head:

Colossians 3:23 - Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men.

Philippians 2:14-15 - Do everything without complaining and arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe.

So though my attitude was not as good this morning as it should have been, I suppose I walk away from the experience knowing what God commands of us (see above verses). A early-morning lesson for faith.

So, I pretty much can't see anything outside my window right now except a gianormous wall of whiteness. I'm not very much looking forward to walking to class in it. O, Spring! Hurry here!
---
Blaaahh. I'm not a fan of ENGL381. There is little discussion and mostly the professor talking the whole time. I know it's early, but I'm ready to accept a not-so-great participation grade. I sit next to Natalie and draw out 15 boxes. Every five minutes, I color one in with my pencil. Then I watch the hands on my watch go around until it's been five more minutes. Then I color another in. By the time I get all 15 colored, it's time to go. I had to do this to get through philosophy last spring, but I'm pretty sure I didn't start this early in the semester.

Tuesdays are crazy days for me: 6:30-10:30 Work, 11:30-12:45 ENGL381, 1:00-1:15 Lunch, 1:20-1:30 Shower, 2:30-3:45 FSHS105, 4:45-7:30 Work, 8:45-10:15 Bible study.
Whew.
---
My financial teacher's daily words of wisdom: Credit cards are not evil. They're tools. Kind of like chainsaws. If you go out there with one, you have to know how to use it. You have to understand how they work.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

that's an interesting dream :]
i was very disappointed with the snow today, it almost made me weep when i looked outside and thought we were having a white-out.
i'll be praying that class gets better and tuesdays aren't too crazy for you.

Anonymous said...

I like the credit card analogy. Most people don't know how to use them as an effective tool.


View My Stats