Starting my 3rd week working at the Hyatt Regency. Housekeeping is exhausting. Fortunately these last couple of days have been a bit more low-key than usual (less rooms to clean). I'm still coming home worn out but there are too many awesome people here to take naps -- I don't want to miss out on anything! I went to Target and found an outdoor basketball on clearance so I went out Sunday with Clarissa and showed her how it's done and then caught some time to shoot around after dinner tonight. I'm missing the beach -- the only time I go is on Saturdays when we're doing beach evangelism so I haven't swam in the ocean since our first few days here. I feel like I'm wasting it being so close and hardly ever getting to go. The weekends are supposed to be pretty open for doing stuff like hanging out at the beach, but I've managed to somehow keep my schedule full. Also, it's a bit tough not having a car because I have to find someone is going who will take me, but I've been unlucky with the timing of that so far. I got an e-mail today saying I've officially been selected to write on staff for the K-State Collegian in the fall as a weekly columnist. I'll be appearing on Tuesdays (online edition at ksu.edu), and I have the freedom to write about anything I want to (except abortion, death penalty and gay rights). But that still leaves it wide open and I'm pretty excited for this opportunity to be heard. I'll for sure be praying for guidance over my topics and especially for ideas -- I've never written a column before!
Speaker: Travis Parks (Purdue)
Notes from Monday's theme rally - June 16, 2008
1. Psalm 37:4:
Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart.No person will satisfy us.
2. Romans 12:1-2:
1Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God—this is your spiritual act of worship. 2Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.Allow God's Word to transform your thoughts, attitudes, and convictions.
3. Colossians 3:12-15:
12Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. 13Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. 14And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity. 15Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful.Grow in Christ-like character. Our identity is rooted in God. Change from the inside out. God is more concerned about character than competency.
God's Design and Purpose for Marriage
Just like you'd go to an architect to get plans for building a house, go to God for the blueprints of a good marriage.
1. What is a marriage to reflect?
Christ's relationship to the church.
2. What is the role of the man?
Head, leader, actively laying down life for wife; loving sacrificially
headship: divine calling of husband to take primary responsibility for Christ-like servant leadership in provisions and protection.
3. What is the role of the woman?
submission: divine calling of woman to honor and affirm husband's leadership
God's Design for Marriage Relationship
1. To model Christ's love (Ephesians 5:22-33)
2. To be fruitful and multiply
3. To provide a helpmate (Genesis 2:18)
4. For sexual intimacy and enjoyment within the covenant of marriage (1 Corinthians 7:1-9; Proverbs 5:18-19)
5. To Fulfill God's Great Commission Together (Acts 9)
Principles of Dating
1. Date to Mate: dating is a way to discover if Christ-like characteristics are present; is God leading us together?
2. Relationships with the Opposite Sex are Sacred/Set Apart/Different: there is complexity in relating with members of the opposite sex. Don't treat women like your buddies, guys.
3. The Habits, Patterns of Relating and Convictions Built Now Will Impact Future Marriage
4. Your Value Does Not Come From Being in a Relationship: value is found in identity with Christ
5. Seek Godly Counsel from Others Concerning Relationships (Proverbs 11:14)
6. Seek men/women who are kinetic in godliness, not potential: Think physics terms. Also, 2 Corinthians 6:14 says we are not to be unequally yoked.
7. Be Careful of Private Interactions with the Opposite Sex: this includes e-mail, texting, and Facebook, instances of no accountability
Straight Talk for Men
1) God calls you to be holy and sexually pure.
Proverbs 5-7, 9:13-18
1 Thessalonians 4:3-7
Sexual sin will destroy your life.
2) Don't defraud, mislead, or manipulate women, but seek to honor, protect and put their interest above your own.
Seek to protect sisters in Christ (put their emotional needs above your own)
3) Attention to All, Intention to None - Proverbs 4:23
4) Grow in Becoming a Humble Servant
Philippians 2:5-11 - Lay down your life, your pride, your fears. Trust and serve.
Straight Talk with Women
1) Trust God and Wait to Be Pursued by a Man
- I am worthy to be pursued.
- Be patient and trust God.
- An Ephesians 5 man is worth waiting for.
- Don't manipulate situations or compromise your standards.
- Be an "antelope." Run strong and hard after God. Don't be convenient; you don't want to let a hyena catch you.
2) Dress modestly. 1 Timothy 2:9-10.
- See the beauty of modesty. There's a difference between dressing attractively and dressing seductively. Honor your brothers. Serve them. Inner beauty matters.
- Proverbs 7:10-13
- 1 Peter 3:3-5
There is great freedom in obedience.