The Parable of the Fishless Fishermen
by John M. Drescher
Click the link above and read the Parable of the Fishless Fishermen.
- We can't assume that our lifestyle is enough.
- It's not enough to claim the name.
- Don't allow the burdens of fishing to only fall on others.
- Don't say, "I want to fish, but I'm called to do something else."
- irrational fear of rejection (if God is for us, who can be against us?)
- skewed priorities; "I'm not ready yet."
- all prayer and no action
- No big hurry. I'll do it later.
- I don't enjoy fishing.
- Pride & wrong motives
How can I develop as a fisherman?
- Fish with someone who is experienced at fishing.
- Live among the fish.
- Use resources to supplement your action like reading up on it
Is God more concerned about catching fish or the action of fishing?
God is responsible for catching. We go out, cast our lines, and pray for a bite. Our job is to be faithful, and God's job is to be successful.