29 June 2008

Fishless Fishermen: A Parable

The Parable of the Fishless Fishermen
by John M. Drescher

Click the link above and read the Parable of the Fishless Fishermen.

  • We can't assume that our lifestyle is enough.
  • It's not enough to claim the name.
  • Don't allow the burdens of fishing to only fall on others.
  • Don't say, "I want to fish, but I'm called to do something else."
Our biggest obstacles in impacting others for Christ:
- irrational fear of rejection (if God is for us, who can be against us?)
- skewed priorities; "I'm not ready yet."
- all prayer and no action
- No big hurry. I'll do it later.
- I don't enjoy fishing.
- Pride & wrong motives

How can I develop as a fisherman?
- Fish.
- Fish with someone who is experienced at fishing.
- Live among the fish.
- Use resources to supplement your action like reading up on it

Is God more concerned about catching fish or the action of fishing?
God is responsible for catching. We go out, cast our lines, and pray for a bite. Our job is to be faithful, and God's job is to be successful.

0 comments:


View My Stats