sermon notes from Long Hollow Baptist Church
Traction, pt. 4 - "The One Thing We Can't Live Without" (Love)
We love because He first loved us. What sets us apart? Love. They will know we are Christians by our love. God is more interested in the "why" than the "what." Live as an act of worship: our bodies as living sacrifices (Rom. 12:1).
Christian love is...
- Romans 12:9a
- Love must be sincere
- Romans 12:9b
- Hate what is evil; cling to what is good
- Love doesn't mean being okay with everything
- Love the sinner; hate the sin
- Love what God loves; hate what God hates
- Romans 12:10-13
- love is a verb
- Be devoted to one another in brotherly love
- Honor one another above yourselves
- Never be lacking in spiritual fervor, serving the Lord
- Share with God's people who are in need
- Practice hospitality
- Romans 12:14-21
- Bless those who persecute you
- Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn
- Live in harmony with one another
- Do not be proud or conceited
- Be willing to associate with people of low position
- Overcome evil with good
SPOILER ALERT: God always wins.
What's the "why"? What is my motivation behind what I do? In view of God's mercy. No casual Christianity. Jesus tells us to come and die and our lives should be radically different when we proclaim him as Lord.