21 June 2009

Why Do You?

So, I was looking for a video of the beginning of the Oprah show. You've seen it--when Oprah walks on stage and everyone stands up and starts clapping and waving their hands in the air and screaming and trying to shake her hand. Yeah, it's a little ridiculous. I just can't get excited about someone like that. I noticed this when I went to a Goo Goo Dolls concert a couple summers ago. The Goo Goo Dolls are probably my favorite secular band. I know the words to most of their songs, and I like their sound. Our seats were only a few rows from the stage, but I wasn't jumping up and down and screaming and trying to touch Johnny Rzeznik.

It makes me wonder... why do these people get so excited about Oprah? Why do people get so wrapped up with celebrities? People were huge followers of the Beatles. Guess what? John Lennon is dead. You know who's not dead? Jesus.

But as for me, God forbid that I should glory in anything except the Cross of our Lord Jesus Christ --Galatians 6:14
I hope that every thought of my Redeemer would get me as excited as Oprah's fans get about her. Oprah will die. Jesus is alive. I ran across a YouTube video from Oprah called "Why Do You Watch Oprah?" and it's these testimonies of people saying why they watch the show. What if I took those answers and explained why I read the Word daily? Why do I love Jesus?

(Answers alternate: Oprah answer, my answer.)

Every time a question comes into my head, she asks it.

Every time I have a question, the Bible has an answer.

Everyone has a friend named Oprah.

Everyone has a friend named Jesus. (John 15:13)

It's my exhale of my day.

Christ is my source of strength and peace. (Psalm 18:32)

It's like having a family member around the house.

God chose me to be a part of His family. (Ephesians 1:4)

There is so much information that you can take in and then give it back.

I can encourage my friends with Scripture. (Ephesians 4:29)

Good teachers inspire you.

My inspiration is in Christ alone
. (Psalm 20:7)

As soon as I turn it on, I can't stop watching it.

Christ is the life that flows through my lines. (John 6:35)

She helps you see the good in you.

Christ shows me grace even though there is no good in me. (Romans 5:8)

I've learned it's okay not to be afraid.

If God is for me, who can be against me? (Romans 8:31)

She's funny.

God has a sense of humor. (Jeremiah 29:11; Have you ever tried telling God about your plans?)

She changes people on a daily basis.

I was dead in my trangressions, but Christ gives me life. (Ephesians 2:1-5)

She touches every generation, young and old.

Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow.
(Hebrews 13:8)

There's nothing I'd rather watch.

Magnify the Father; why bother with something lesser? (Galatians 6:14)

Oprah rocks.

God created rocks. (Genesis 1:9-10)

The Oprah Show is my "me time."

God desires to meet with me daily. (Psalm 34:18)

The Oprah Show is inspiration.

All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting, and training in righteousness.
(2 Timothy 3:16)

The Oprah Show is for us.

Jesus is for everyone. (2 Corinthians 5:14-15)

But as for me, God forbid that I should glory in anything except the Cross of our Lord Jesus Christ --Galatians 6:14

0 comments:


View My Stats