04 June 2008

Hump Day Update

Wednesday. Day 2.25 of working at the Hyatt. It's been good so far. I'm actually learning to enjoy housekeeping. Standing all day is definitely something I'm not used to, but it's cool to start picking up on all the things that need to be done in each room. I've been training with experienced housekeepers this week, and we've been working really hard in the mornings, so after lunch we just have a handful of rooms left to do. We'll do 20 before lunch, and then have four hours to eat and get the last 8 done. The day goes surprisingly fast.

So the reason I've got .25 of a day in there is because my first day...wasn't so good. My first few days in the Florida sun mixed with dehydration (I haven't been drinking much because the water in the UNF dorms tastes like sulfur) = heat exhaustion. I didn't see it coming at all, but just as our housekeeping meeting started on Monday morning, our supervisor started going over the announcements for the day and then...room spinning, dizziness, getting really hot, tiredness, weakness, headache... I tried focusing on staying standing up, but I couldn't do it so I started thinking I'd just put my hands on my knees. Missed my knees - to the floor. Trying to stand back up and doing a horrible job at doing it. It was one of those things where you're not really sure if anyone else can even tell you're kind of swaying, but in reality you're swaying a lot and falling and in a second there was a chair under me and they were wheeling me out of the room. It was pretty scary. They cooled me down and gave me some water and I told them I wanted to go back to work, but after cleaning for about an hour and a half, I started feeling it again and they sat me down and sent me home. I slept the rest of the afternoon. Then I looked up my symptoms on WebMD and heat exhaustion matched perfectly. So, I got some bottled water and the last two days I've been good. So, bad deal for my first day but everyone was really nice about it.

Anyway, this week has been pretty intense so far with our theme rally and working and stuff going on every other night this week. I've been exhausted, going to bed at 10 then 9pm. My mom e-mailed me today to tell me some bad news -- Inky is missing. If you don't know, Inky is my cat. He's all black, and we've had him for about 12 years. Being gone this long isn't like him because he's at the back door every morning at 6am meowing his head off for some wet cat food. So, sad day if he doesn't show up. I really like him.

Anyway, I'm headed to dinner. Work isn't too exciting to write about, but I'll try to share some of what I've been learning in my quiet time and at our theme rally or workshops sometime this week. Thanks to everyone who has been supporting me and praying for me! Adios.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you are in housekeeping. This from a girl who can't keep her own room clean! Love you!
Mom


View My Stats