17 January 2009

Setting, Conflict, Climax, and Resolution

(INKwell writing assignment: Create some form of literature using already published works [ie. plagarize]. Phrases must be at least three words in length.)

All pieces of this poem are snippets from Donald Miller's Blue Like Jazz: Nonreligious Thoughts on Christian Spirituality. Nashville: Thomas Nelson Publishers, 2003.

Setting, Conflict, Climax, and Resolution

I was born with a small bladder
so I wet the bed till I was ten.
My family had a Buick.
My mother never drove drunk.

I landed in Portland.
It wasn't cute or neat.
Nobody will listen to you
unless they sense that you like them.
Everybody is watching everybody else.

Every good story has a climax
like something with copious amounts of sex and blood.
I am such a sheep about sharing my faith.
It wasn't long before I felt like a phony.

The heart responds to conflict within story.
I was bowing down to the gold cows
of religiosity and philosophy.
I wanted to make a sign that read
"I AM THE PROBLEM!"

I remember feeling tired for almost a year.
The air was cold.
It was like a bacteria or a cancer;
I couldn't put words to it.
I thought I had forever to figure things out.
Enlightenment came in an unexpected place:
a grocery store.

I wanted to resolution God was offering:
great gravity and all the pretty girls at UMASS.

0 comments:


View My Stats