18 October 2008

sweet reunion

Getting up early on Saturdays isn't a habit of mine. But this morning I was meeting at group at Radina's at 7:30am, so I was up at 6:50 and walking down Manhattan Ave. by 7:20. The street was mostly deserted (apparently getting up early on Saturdays isn't a habit for a lot of people) and a thick fog sat on campus. At quick glance, it was easy to mistake it for a light snowfall in the 45-degree morning. So I'm walking; my bag is heavy on my shoulder because I'm carrying my laptop. I'm planning on spending the morning at Radina's to get some copyediting done for work.

I don't even notice the car drive by, and I don't notice it stops. I do notice when I hear "Alyssa!" I stop walking and see my beautiful friend, Kristin, running across Manhattan Ave. in her navy and gray striped shirt. I haven't seen her since our ice cream date in May -- oh yeah, the day I lied about my birthday to get a coupon for free Love It-sized Cold Stone -- and I've missed her so much. We hug, I tell her I miss her, and she says she's leaving but we'll talk soon. We hug again and she retreats back to her car. I wave to Taylor and pick up my bag (I put it down on the ground in anticipation of the hug) and continue on my way. It all happened in probably less than sixty seconds, but oh, how sweet it was.

I've been talking to God a lot lately about relationships and trusting him to provide for me relationally because sometimes it's quite lonely here. The cool thing about God being omniscient is that He knows everything -- He knows I'll be walking down Manhattan Ave. this morning and He knows Kristin and Taylor are going to drive by and she's going to recognize me and and jump out of the car to hug me. And how sweet it is. I'm imagining God is watching this sweet reunion in the early morning and smiling because he has filled my heart with such joy and oh, how I will praise him for his faithfulness, for providing this sweet reunion with my beautiful sister.

Psalm 105:2-3
2 Sing to him, sing praise to him;
tell of all his wonderful acts.
3 Glory in his holy name;
let the hearts of those who seek the LORD rejoice.

0 comments:


View My Stats